I am very pleased with my class of twenty-three fourth grade All Stars. We had perfect attendance the first two days! The kids have a good attitude, seem to work well together and we have the supplies we need - thank you very much!
This week we start what will become our routine of weekly vocabulary and spelling words. The vocabulary homework is on Monday and Tuesday is spelling homework. I only give one spelling test per week and it is on Friday. Thursday night's homework is studying the spelling words in preparation for the test on Friday. The students will start their weekly reading log and it will be due on next Tuesday. The kids should read at least 100 minutes per week and I am sure many will read far more.
To introduce the six traits of writing we will be doing an art project at home starting on Wednesday evening. It will be due Friday. I will give the kids a 12 by 18 piece of construction paper and the directions to complete the project. We will also see many examples of previous six traits writing posters. The kids will think of something that will help them visualize the six traits of writing and create a poster. They are welcome to use a computer or draw everything by hand. It will be interesting to see the kids' personality in their individual poster. Students will briefly present and describe their poster to the class on Friday morning.
Soleng Tom Elementary voted to switch to Engage New York for math curriculum instead of Investigations. Engage New York is reported as more rigorous. You may view the math curriculum by goggling it on your computer. Our first math unit focuses on place value, rounding, comparing, addition and subtraction. The first few days were a bit of a challenge as we get used to the vocabulary and format. We also went to large numbers very quickly. We will be working with comprehending place value to the millions. I appreciate everyone's perseverance as we work our way through the curriculum.
Please save the date of August 18 for Curriculum Night. It will give us a chance to share information that will help us all be more successful this school year.
I am excited to have a new grandchild in the near future. I will be gone a few days when the baby arrives to fulfill my role as a mother and grandmother. Our family is very excited about the addition.
I hope we all have a wonderful week!
Warmly,
Mrs. Figueroa
Saturday, August 8, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment