Saturday, February 22, 2014

Teacher's note February 24, 2014

Welcome back from what I hope was a very enjoyable Rodeo Vacation -  I certainly enjoyed time with my family! 

We have two special events this week to help us learn about Arizona history and cultures.  Monday the fourth grade will listen to a program titled Arizona Hats. This will be our first year being selected to participate in this program that comes highly recommended.  Basically it describes the different people from Arizona according to their "hats".  I am looking forward to the presentation. 

Thursday our class will go to Saguaro National Monument and learn how the Hohokam and ranchers survived in the desert habitat.  This field trip offers opportunities for the students to try different activities and the kids seem to love it!  We plan on leaving the school by 9:00, rotating through four centers, eating a picnic lunch, enjoying a short desert hike and then returning to Soleng Tom.  I predict we will all have a lovely day!

The class took the two dimensional geometry test last Wednesday and the results will be in Monday's Dragon Folder for you to review.  Now it is back to fractions!  We will go into more depth about equivalent, comparing, ordering, adding and subtracting mixed fractions, and  multiplying fractions.  We should develop an even better knowledge of fractions.   

Our reading selection from our anthology is A Very Important Day.  It describes when a group of immigrants become citizens of the United States - which is an important event!  The writing prompt for the week will be the students writing a personal narrative about one day that was very important in their life.  They may choose what day to write about.  I would expect the students to add enough details to be one to two pages long.

Monday the track team will be announced.  It will likely be a day of excitement or disappointment depending on each athlete.  I am proud of each of my students that were brave enough to try out for the team. 

May we all have a week full of learning opportunities!

Warmly,
Mrs. Figueroa      

No comments:

Post a Comment