Monday, November 11, 2013

Teacher's note November 11, 2013

I hope each of us feel grateful for our wonderful country, our freedoms and opportunities.  May we be thankful for the many people who have sacrificed so we can enjoy these blessings.  Happy Veterans Day!

We had fabulous book reports last week!  The kids were pretty excited to share their reports and I was very impressed with so many students finishing ahead of schedule.  The students who did not have an opportunity to present last Friday will have the chance on Tuesday to share their book report. 

Tuesday the kids will start a writing project called a character sketch.  It is a mini autobiography.  It will be informational text written in first person.  The kids will write a paragraph describing their looks, personality, hobby(s), favorite places(s), important people in their life and goal(s).  They will write at least six paragraphs and most likely many more!  Each paragraph should have a topic sentence with at least four supporting detail sentences.  We will write one paragraph at a time and complete the project in a couple of weeks.  The front cover of the writing will be a sketch of the person and items described in writing.   In years past the kids have loved this assignment and so I have every reason to believe my current All Stars will love it too!

I did not give a fraction test last Friday.  The fourth grade teachers made the decision to continue our fraction unit instead of breaking it up into four different sections.  Our fraction unit will continue as we work on fractions of set.  We will find fractions on  4 by 6 arrays and 5 by 12 arrays.  The students will know how to determine what is 3/4 of 24 and 4/10 of 60.  The kids will be able to find the fraction of a set both by drawing the evidence and using an equation. 

Our electricity unit will have exciting investigations this week as we learn about insulators, conductors, series and parallel circuits.  The kids will build their own lighting filament on Wednesday - that is always a thrilling experiment. 

We have had great discussions as we read the historical fiction book I Survived The Bombing of Pearl Harbor.  Next I will read aloud Sadako and the 1,000 Paper Cranes, another historical fiction book from the point of view of a Japanese girl post WWII.  I believe the class will be very interested in the story and the history of that time period. 

May we all have a wonderful week of learning opportunities!

Warmly,
Mrs. Figueroa

No comments:

Post a Comment