We had a terrific field trip to Saguaro National Park last Tuesday! The weather was absolutely perfect! I believe the kids enjoyed learning about four different desert communities, eating a picnic and going for a short, scenic hike. Thank you to the nine parents that provided transportation and spent their day with us.
These week should be very exciting too! Monday we get to participate in an Our Water, Our Future presentation as part of the Changing Earth science unit. Dr. Faucet from Tucson Water helps us understand how Tucson's water table has changed through the years and what we can do to help conserve water.
I hope to see all of you at Night at the Museum Tuesday evening. You can drop by the school sometime between 6:30 and 8:00 to see samples of the different activities and projects the students have done so far this year. I always enjoy visiting with the families and the students love to show their parents their work. Once again, I hope you can attend.
Our language arts activities this week will include reading a selection from the anthology, continuing to read the novel The Iron Dragon Never Sleeps and reviewing types of imaginative literature. The kids will have an opportunity to read southwestern folktales by Joe Hayes. We will also be working on paraphrasing and how to use quotations from informational text. This is a skill we really need to work on.
Third grade is about to complete their math unit on perimeter, area and geometry. I plan on giving the unit assessment on Tuesday. Next they will study fractions.
Fourth grade will spend this week gaining a better understanding of decimals. We will focus on understanding the place value of decimals, adding and subtracting decimals and the relationship between fractions, decimals and percents. Fourth grade will take their unit test on Friday.
Some of us are very excited that track will start on Monday. Fourth and fifth grade students at Soleng Tom are invited to try out for the team. I will be one of the coaches. Practices are on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday after school. I will be cheering on the track athletes on those days and not in my room until about 4:15. Emails would be a very efficient way to contact me during track season.
May we all have a wonderful week full of learning opportunities and growth.
Warmly,
Mrs. Figueroa
Saturday, January 24, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment