Saturday, January 4, 2014

Teacher's note January 6, 2014

Welcome to 2014 and second semester of fourth grade.  This will be a very exciting semester rich in learning opportunities and activities such as field trips, track, Spell-a-thon, and more!  Second semester always seems to fly by!

The second quarter progress report will be distributed in Monday's Dragon Folder.  Please empty all the contents in the envelope, sign the back and return it to me on Tuesday.  I hope you feel comfortable contacting me about any questions or concerns relating to the progress report. 

Thank you for the excellent response providing transportation to the De Grazia Art Museum on January 16.  We have a surplus of drivers.  I will send home the paperwork for those parents that will drive us.  We do have two more field trips this year that I will ask for parents to provide the transportation.  I will inform every volunteer whether or not your help will be needed on this field trip.  Once again, thank you for your support. 

The students will be writing a personal narrative story this week describing too much of a good thing.  The story can be true or fictional.  The story will follow the pattern we read in Chocolate Fever.  The kids will describe something they love, a problem develops and then a solution.  I will require at least four  quotations in the story.  We will be working on using quotation marks correctly.  I expect the story to be at least two pages long.  The kids may decide if their final copy is hand written or computer generated. 

We need to practice four digit divided by one digit division and checking division using multiplication before we take our multiplication and division test.  The unit test is scheduled for Wednesday.  Wednesday night's math homework is optional.  Dividing money is not part of this unit, but very useful to know.  Next we will study measurement and start with the standard liquid measurement.  The kids will be building Gallon Man and singing about him. 

We will wrap up our electricity unit this week and begin studying weather.   Also, we start learning about Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights Movement.  The kids usually seem shocked to learn about segregation and equal rights events of the past. 

I hope each of us has a wonderful week and second semester! 

Warmly,
Mrs. Figueroa

No comments:

Post a Comment