Sunday, December 8, 2013

Teacher's note December 9, 2013

I was very pleased to see and read the character sketches that were handed in Friday.  The kids who wanted to share their writing were allowed to select a friend and read a portion of their character sketch.  It was super cute to watch the kids share their writing and drawings with each other. 

The non fiction book report is due on Friday.  I sure hope the kids have been reading their book and considering what type of report they would like to complete.  The reports are always very interesting!

Our writing practice will switch from informational text to stories.  No better time to switch then the day the Magic Box arrives at Soleng Tom.  The kids are encouraged to write stories that will be  placed in the Magic Box in hopes of being selected to be performed by The Stories That Soar staff.  The objectives that we will work on are correct use of quotation marks and organization of a story.  If the story is written for the Magic Box, adults may not edit or revise the writing.  I will definitely encourage the students to participate in Stories That Soar. 

I have analyzed the data from Success Maker, the computer program that individualizes reading instruction.  Our class is doing very well at comprehending reading passages - that is good news!  Our area of difficulty is understanding parts of speech.  We will be working on parts of speech the next two weeks as we do activities in our language arts notebooks.  This week we will gain a better understanding of adjectives and pronouns. 

The kids have been working on two digit times two digit multiplication.  I hope the kids are confident with the array and partial product strategies to help them understand why the algorithm works.  We will work on the algorithm this week and introduce one digit times four digit multiplication.  I always appreciate your help monitoring your son's or daughter's progress by reviewing homework.

I talked with the students about leaving all toys or items that distract at home.  I do not want the items to be broken, lost, stolen or a problem.  I would appreciate your help keeping toys and devices at home. 

We have a craft project planned for next week that requires bows, non Christmas wrapping paper and ribbon.  I would be grateful if you can donate one of those items.   

May we all have a week full of learning opportunities!

Sincerely,
Mrs. Figueroa

No comments:

Post a Comment