Sunday, February 17, 2013

Teacher's note February 18, 2013

Last week was exciting with Jimmy Stewart's visit, Arizona Day, Hug a gram sales, Valentines Day and the rodeo presentation.  That had to be one of our most memorable weeks of the year! 

Thank you for your support of the spell a thon and hug a grams.  We had 8 students finish in the top 100 of spell a thon winners.  We also deposited about $1,250 into the Soleng Tom gifts and donations account from the hug a gram sales.  The Soleng Tom community continues to be extremely supportive and we are very appreciative of your efforts. 

Only three school days this week before we go on Rodeo Vacation!  There will not be spelling or vocabulary words to study.  Instead the kids will complete and mail their author letter and become figure of speech experts.   The goal is to define and identify similes, metaphors, idioms, hyperboles and personification.  I will be on cloud nine if we master the figures of speech!  

We have a couple more days of adding decimals and understanding the relationship between decimals and fractions.  The concept of ratios and fractions will also be introduced.  Right now, I would like to give the fractions and decimals test on Wednesday.  I may postpone the test until next Monday if I feel we need more time. 

We have received our Structures of Life science unit.  I love this unit!  The first half of the unit is studying plant life cycle and then we should receive snails and crayfish to study animals.  The excitement level usually intensifies when the animals arrive.

I hope each of you have an enjoyable Rodeo Vacation. 

Sincerely,
Mrs. Figueroa 

No comments:

Post a Comment