Saturday, August 18, 2012

Teacher's Note August 20, 2012

Congratulations to Vincent and Amanda for winning our class elections for student council representatives.  We are very confident they will be very responsible student council members. 

Our schedule continues to develop as we add Mrs. Damek's counseling lesson to Monday morning and P.E. with Mrs. McFarland to Friday morning.  Tuesday will be the first orchestra lesson for those students who returned the permission form.  It appears that many of our students want to participate in orchestra. 

Our main objective for reading will be understanding the narrative elements of the story "My Name is Maria Isabel".  All year long we will work on understanding the characters, setting, and plot of different stories. The students should have checked out a biography book to start reading for their book report.  I will talk with the students on Monday to verify they have a biography book.  Will you please check with your son or daughter too? 

Wednesday I plan to administer the unit one math test on multiplication.  I certainly hope the students do well on the test.  We will continue to study our multiplication facts and having weekly timed tests. The students showed terrific improvement  in speed and accuracy on their second attempt.  Please continue to memorize the facts each evening until the memorization chart is completed.  Our next math unit will be data analysis. 

My plan is to conduct two science experiments this coming week.  We will do
Downhill Rollers and Water Destinations investigations this week.  I hope your son or daughter tells you all about the experiments. 

The kids should know far more about the three branches of government and their responsibilities by the end of the week.  We will be reading and watching a movie to help us understand how our government works. 

Monday is Kona Beri Night for Soleng Tom from 5 - 8.  Perhaps I will see you there. 

Best wishes,
Mrs. Figueroa

No comments:

Post a Comment